Friday, October 24, 2008

Addictive Natures

I have an incredibly addictive nature. I've always been that way. If I find something that makes me feel good, something I enjoy, I take it to the extreme.

Even good things in excess can be sinful. So how much worse is being excessive in those things which are flat-out bad to begin with.

Well satan only needs the most tiny of footholds in your soul to completely devour and destroy you! You think he wastes time trying to convince you to murder and rape? Doubt it. He knows our weaknesses. He knows that all he needs to get us to do is take that one extra piece of cake when you're full, to have that one single beer or cigarette with a friend, to watch just one episode of that funny television show, to watch that one popular movie, to read that one worldly book.

It's not the type of the sin or the size of the sin...it's the fact that you made a conscious decision to forsake Christ and go your own way. And having made that decision, you kick the Spirit out of your heart and invite satan and his demons in.

In your own mind you think the battle has just begun, that you've opened the door to a battle of willpower against the devil. That you won't have any more after this one. The truth is that the moment you think the battle is starting, you've already lost. It's the little things that are so vital to the Christian walk.

God help me with the little things!

2 comments:

  1. Who was it that said, "Love God, and do as you please." Augustine? I can't remember. Anyway, this is what this post reminds me of.

    I too believe in keeping track of the little things which sprout like innocent little weeds in our lives, but which if not rooted out will some day cause us to reap a harvest we'll greatly regret.

    At the same time, I think if we love God with all of our heart, etc. as He commands us to do, these little things will be weeded out as we become more and more like Him.

    I have an addictive personality too, so I know what you mean. But I find that when I focus on my sins, little or big (and who decides which ones are the biggest, I wonder) I do worse than when my focus in on spending time with Him. In relationship, enjoying Him as I was created to do. It's the only way for me to avoid becoming addicted to rooting out sin in my own wisdom and strength!

    I don't do this often enough, I'm still working on that. When I lay a guilt trip on myself I do so much worse. I'm still learning--we're all still learning what Grace is truly all about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so right. I think when we concentrate on our sins and put all of our focus on them and how to get rid of them, their hold on us becomes stronger.

    But you hit the nail right on the head when you said how much better you do when you "focus in on spending time with Him."

    We need the replacement principle, we need to get rid of bad stuff by replacing it with good stuff.

    2 Corinthians 3:18 is so terrific for this topic: "But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord."

    It is only by constantly beholding our awesome redeemer Jesus Christ, that we are able to replace our sinful thoughts and habits with His righteous thoughts and habits.

    Praise God for making it so simple for us...instead of having to battle sin ourselves, He just says "Look to me, and I'll fight the battle for you."

    What an amazing God we have!

    ReplyDelete