Thursday, November 13, 2008

Just Checking In

Hi everyone! I realized it's been awhile since I last posted, and that my last post wasn't the most positive thing ever, so I figured I'd tack on an extra post to say how happy I am that Christ loves us! Loves us not because we're good enough, but because we're His children! Amen!

I've been watching bits and pieces of this series on GCN lately and they have been featuring excerpts from R.A. Torrey's book "The Power of Prayer". These passages were so insightful and inspired that I've ordered the book from Amazon and am waiting to receive it! I'll post some texts from it when I get it. God bless you all!

Also, a friend of mine is beginning a Bible study with a few couples around our same age and we are looking forward to going although I am a little nervous around people I don't know. Did I say a little? I mean I'm terrified of socializing with people I don't know! But it's sure to be a blessing.

P.s. Along with Torrey's book, I also ordered a book set called "The Christmas Box collection" which features three Christian novels. The reviews were all excellent so I decided my wife might enjoy them. If anyone has read these books I'd love any comments. :-)

Update: The Christmas Box, along with other stories by this author, contain many doctrinal errors which have led to spiritualism invading even Christianity in these latter days. The main one is communicating with spirits of the dead, ghost encounters, etc. Which we know is very Biblically inaccurate as well as dangerous.

As the Bible says "For the living know that they will die, but the dead know not anything, neither have they any more reward; for the memory of them is forgotten. Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in anything that is done under the sun." Eccl 9-5,6

"Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear His voice, and shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation." John 5:28,29

"But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with Him. For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not preceed them which are asleep. For the Lord Himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the Archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:" 1 Thes 4:13-16

There are, of course, countless other scriptures which speak of the the state of the dead, but that is for another study. :-)

So, after my wife reading these books and telling me about them, I would recommend you stay away from the works of Richard Paul Evans, as emotionally touching as they may be. I pray that God will bring to his study those truths which are so plainly revealed in the Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment