Saturday, November 22, 2008

Not 1 in 20 are true Christians

While going through some of the sections in Ellen White's book "Last Day Events" (a compilation), I came across a statement where she said that "...not 1 in 20 Adventists are truly converted". How terribly sad is that thought!

As I look at our church, I am persuaded that the numbers are even less today. Compared to almost any Christian church in the late 1800's or early 1900's, all of Christendom today has been infiltrated by the world to a much larger degree. This is sadly confirmed by some of the "Adventists" I talk to and read of who espouse doctrines of accepting worldly views and beliefs, even in regard to God and the Bible!

It seems to me that so many people consider themselves Christians, yet try to reason away the plain meaning of scripture. Ladies and gentlemen, God's Word is our only source of truth in this world. We must, whatever the topic, always look at things from the perspective of God's Word being absolutely, infallibly, 100% true. Everything else, including science, philosophy, relationships, raising children, and anything else important to us, must fit into whatever model or facts God's Word gives us.

I know that humans were not a result of (macro) evolution. I know that the entire world was destroyed by a flood. I know that Jonah was swallowed by a sea creature, remained there for 3 days, and lived to tell about it. I know all these things because God's Word declares them to be true. If you ask me to make a choice between our human theories or the plain meaning of scripture...it is not a difficult choice. Sola Scriptura!

I pray that as a people, we Christians (not just Adventists) would wake up and see how dire our circumstance has become! We are being conformed to the world more and more with each passing day!

Romans 12:2, "And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God."

I pray that God, by His Spirit, would renew our minds each day from whatever worldliness has crept in unaware, so that we can accept, with humility, those things which God has revealed to us so plainly in His Word. We cannot trust the intelligence of our own minds. I pray that God will cleanse us of the pride that leads to believing we can distinguish truth from falsehood without our Creator. We cannot!

Jeremiah 17:9, "The heart (mind) is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked; Who can know it?"

If our minds are deceitful above all things, that necessarily means that greater intelligence equals greater deceitfulness and wickedness.

There was a time when I fancied myself fairly intelligent and thus reasoned that I could understand the truths of this world through my own efforts. I was wrong. The greatest minds are like that of an amoeba when compared to our Creator! We cannot trust our own thoughts, but must measure all things by His Word. Please hear me!

Proverbs 1:7, "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction."

No comments:

Post a Comment