Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Genesis 1-5

A few days ago I decided to undertake the major task of memorizing the entire Gospel of John. Well I memorized 5 verses the first night, then 4 the next night, at which point I decided this was going to be a very long process. It was then that I decided that it would be very uplifting to go through the entire Bible again, cover-to-cover, slowly.

So I am reading (hopefully) a minimum of 3 chapters per day, since that is how many you'd need to read per day so that you will finish the entire Bible in 1 year. I plan on sometimes reading more than 3 chapters per day, though.

It is a leisurely pace that allows ample time for reflecting upon that which you're reading.

Apart from the wonderful story of creation as a whole, I focused on imagining each day's worth of creation, and trying to commit to memory what God created on each day.

First day - Light (light of God? (Revelation 21:23, Isaiah 60:19) since the sun and moon weren't made until day 4).
Second day - Firmament (atmosphere,air) that separated the waters below from the waters above (imagine a world covered with ocean, with a layer of water up in the sky).
Third day - Dry land, all plant life.
Fourth day - Sun and moon, perhaps stars also.
Fifth day - All sea creatures and birds.
Sixth day - All land animals, man, woman.
Seventh day - The Sabbath, making a 24-hour period of time "blessed and sanctified" (set apart for holy use).

A passage that stuck out to me as I read these first 6 chapters was Genesis 4:6-7. This is right after Cain became upset because God did not accept his offering of the fruit of the ground, but accepted his brother Abel's offering of the firstborn of his flock (verse 3-5), and right before Cain killed his brother (verse 8).

God knew that Cain was upset, and what was about to happen, So he spoke to him, "So the LORD said to Cain, 'Why are you angry? And why has your countenance fallen? If you do well, will you not be accepted? And if you do not do well, sin lies at the door. And its desire is for you, but you should rule over it.'" - Genesis 4:6-7 (emphasis added)

To me, that is a promise God makes to all of us. He would never tell us to do something that was impossible. But "with God, all things are possible!" and "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!" - Matthew 19:26, Philippians 4:13

We have the power to rule over sin, but not power from within ourselves. We can use Christ's power to battle our foes. This passage also shows sin as a mysterious force that desires us. It is some kind of disease that spreads and destroys not only humans, but animals and even plants! Plants developed "thorns and thistles" (Gen 3:18) and even "cursed is the ground" with sin because of the fall of man (Gen 3:17). We brought death and destruction into this world, but Jesus took our sin onto Himself and destroyed it. He will one day make a "new heavens and a new earth" (Revelation 21:1, Isaiah 65:17)

Yes, the first few chapters of Genesis are mixed with the wonder of God's creative power and the sorrow of the fall of mankind. Yet, I know how the story ends!

Another note about these quick reflections: I realize that I've skipped over some powerful "proof texts" for various Biblical doctrines, but it is not my intent to use my Bible study time to defend my beliefs. This reading of God's Word is to bring me closer to Him, not to constantly point out Biblical defenses of my doctrines. I am not trying to prove anything to anyone, I'm only seeking God.

Until next time, God bless you and keep you.

2 comments:

  1. I think you are wise to read the whole Bible cover-to-cover, and I am glad you are not just looking for verses to support what you already believe. You can learn much more if you are willing to change your beliefs and be corrected by the Bible. If you have an open mind and are willing to believe God more than human traditions, God can teach you more from the Bible. You may find many surprises.

    You mentioned the seventh day when God rested. There is actually a connection between Genesis 1:1-3 and a statement made by Jesus Christ in Mark 2:27 in which He said that the Sabbath was made for man, or in other words, for mankind, not just the Jews. I recently had a debate in my blog with someone who says that the Ten Commandments including the Sabbath were done away with the death of Christ, and that the Sabbath was only to be kept under the Old Covenant. As I pointed out to him, Jesus said that the Sabbath was made for man, and the only record of the Sabbath being made is in Genesis 2:1-3. That seventh day was the first Sabbath day, and God rested, not because He was tired, but He rested to create the Sabbath day by His example.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, and what an amazing gift the Sabbath is for man! Yes I think I'll receive many blessings from slowly reading the Bible through, simply to be near God.

    Thank you for stopping by this blog and commenting, I really appreciate it and would love to hear from you again. :-)

    God bless

    ReplyDelete