Sunday, December 7, 2008

Genesis 17-19

This was an amazing time spent in God's word. It was the story of Abraham and Sarah's names being changed, and the conception of their son Isaac. It also contains the interesting story of Sodom and Gomorrah.

Anyway, I've decided that the format I have been using for my Bible readings wasn't working for me. It seems like I'm just summarizing what I've read instead of writing about spiritual insights or words of encouragement that I've found.

As I look back at my current reading, something that spoke to me from this passage was when Abraham was bargaining with God. When he was asking God to spare Sodom if 50 righteous men were found there, then asking what about if there was 45, then 30, then 20, then 10 (Genesis 18:22-33). And every time God said "Yes"!

How awesome is it that God is so willing to answer our prayers and pleas to Him, yet we don't have the boldness of Abraham to just ask.

James 4:2, "Yet you do not have because you do not ask."

Hebrews 4:16, "Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need."

Amen! God bless you and keep you.

2 comments:

  1. God does seem to appreciate sincerity in dialog, and He is very patient with us mere mortals.

    Reading your post I am reminded of another conversation someone had with God. Unlike Abraham, this person did not have the right attitude. This man was angry with God, angry enough to die. Most men if they were in God's position with God's power would be tempted to squash Jonah for his bad attitude, but God was very patient with him and reasoned with him (Jonah 3:5-10, 4:1-11). God practiced His own instruction that a soft answer turns away wrath (Proverbs 15:1). God used a soft answer to turn away Jonah's anger rather than return anger for anger as we sometimes do (Romans 12:21).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the very insightful comment! You're so right in discerning that Abraham had the right attitude - humility, as opposed to Jonah, and others, wrong attitudes.

    I also really like what you said about God practicing His own instruction. That really made me think. Yes He certainly does not only tell us how to live, but lives by that standard Himself.

    Thank you again for your insightful comments that make me ponder new aspects of God's word.

    God bless

    ReplyDelete